We can't help but be mesmerized and inspired by the RHS Chelsea Flower Show so far. There is nothing like some fresh blooms to create the perfect centre piece or freshen up your home for the Spring and Summer seasons and that is exactly why we have decided to share with you some of our flower arranging tips for an beautiful home display which will last a while. Simple but essential, here are some things to consider:
- Warm water- water temperature can make a huge difference to the display of your blooms. If you have tightly closed flower heads, place them in warm water for a day or two before using them.
- Foam-not only is it a good idea to use foam to keep flowers in place but foam will also keep the flowers hydrated for longer and therefore they will last longer. Before cutting the foam to fit the container, make sure you soak it for 20 minutes first and then water it every few days.
- Trimming and cutting-Make sure you cut an inch off the stems as this will help for them to absorb the water. It is also important to strip off any leaves that fall below the water line.
- Be experimental-go for flowers of a similar colour but vary the arrangement up by choosing different sizes and textures.
- Arrangement-make sure you place the larger flowers first and then fill in the gaps for small blooms making sure there is enough space between the stems so that each flower stands out beautifully.
- Large scale arrangements- Don't be afraid of going straight for those big, billowing flowers. Think elegant roses and hydrangeas but make sure to place them in a large vase
- Keep away from heat-make sure you keep the flowers away from direct sunlight and heating vents to ensure that they last longer.