After yet another comical episode of The Great British Bake Off we coincidentally developed a sweet tooth and have been inspired to get back in the kitchen this week. With 145 mouth-watering desserts being prepared in front of our eyes, we decided that it was our turn to have a go at whisking up a dangerous delight with a twist. We have taken inspiration from this weeks episode and the theme of next weeks episode which will showcase everything 'free from'.
Therefore we have chosen to bake our favourite Lemon Cake but this time its gluten free. Want to make one yourself? Then read on for our easy peasy recipe. Here is what you will need:
For the cake
- 150g Butter (softened)
- 150g Caster Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 150g GF Self Raising Flour – we like Doves Farm
- 2 Fresh Lemons
For the Buttercream & Lemon curd filling
- 140g Butter (softened)
- 280g Icing Sugar
- 1 Lemon Jar of Lemon Curd
- Heat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/400°F/Gas 6.
- Lightly grease a round cake tin with butter (or oil if you prefer). I used a small 15cm round tin to make one half of the cake at a time, but you can use a larger tin and slice the sponge in half afterwards.
- Mix together the butter & sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and the vanilla extract followed by the flour, mix until nice and smooth.
- Grate the lemons adding the zest to the mixture and squeeze in juice from the 2 lemons, then mix together well.
- Add the mixture (or half if you are using a small tin like me) to the cake tin and smooth the top.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes if using a small tin or around 30 minutes for a bigger tin. The sponge needs to be turning ever so slightly golden and not wobbly! Try not to over cook as Gluten Free baking very quickly goes crumbly.
- Beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add half of the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add the remaining icing sugar and the juice of the remaining lemon and beat the mixture until creamy and smooth.
- Once the cake has cooled evenly spread the buttercream onto the bottom half of the cake.
- Gently spread the Lemon curd on top of the buttercream layer and place the other half of the cake on top.
- Spread the remaining buttercream on the top of the cake and drizzle on a little of the Lemon Curd.
- Grate some lemon zest of top for decoration – ta daaaaa!